THE WEST GRANBY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH TIMELINE
1799 Stemming from an invitation, a North Canton minister came to West
Granby to deliver a sermon in Ebenezer Goddard's old barn.
early 1800's Due to the popularity of these meetings a house of worship was built where
Firetown Rd left Simsbury Rd (current site of 175 Simsbury Rd, West Granby).
1845 This house of worhsip was sold and subsequently torn down.
A new church was built on a "piece of swampland north of the store". church pic
1865 First parsonage was bought and stood at what is now 46 Simsbury Rd.
First sunday school started with 61 pupils.
1906 Extensive renovations were made to the church.
1915 A parish house was built. parish house pic
1923 Electricity installed in church.
1949 Myron W. Graham house bequethed to the church and was made into the second parsonage.
This parsonage is the one currently being used. The first parish house was sold.
1956 The parsonage was burned and rebuilt the following year. parsonage pic
1975 Current Church built with funds and land given by Laura and Tudor Holcomb. current church pic
1976 The old church is dismantled. bell saved from old church pic
The source of most of this information is from the book: The Heritage of Granby