Before the actual church was formed some of the Methodists and Baptists
living in the area began having Sunday School at the old school house.
It was agreed that the schoolhouse would be used for school through
the week and for worship services on Sundays.
Each family took turns inviting a preacher of their denominational
choice to conduct services.
Early in the year 1928, the
Methodists living in the area of Wallsboro were holding worship services in
the schoolhouse on Sunday afternoons with the pastor from the Wetumpka
Methodist Church officiating. There
were two acres of land between the school and the highway, one owned by Mr.
Lucious Bass and the other purchased by Mr. Tom Wall.
Both men donated the land as a building site of the new church.
Money had to be raised for
the new construction to begin. Fortunately,
the building of Jordan Dam was taking place during this time, allowing the
women of the church to earn additional money by preparing and selling meals
to the workers. This began an
aggressive surge of fundraisers including suppers, pie and cake sales, and
even a rented booth at the State Fair to sell meals.
By 1929, the hard work paid off as $3,400.00 was raised to begin the
construction of the new church.
J. Bruce Airey and William
L. Lancaster, of Wetumpka, came out to participate in the official
organization of the church. To
complete the necessary organizational papers, the church had to have a name. Mr. Lancaster suggested the name, Wallsboro Methodist Church.
Thus, the church, school and community appropriately were named for
the man, Thomas A. Wall.
The church was taken into the Methodist Conference and placed on the Titus
Charge. The Reverend E.H. Brown
was sent as the first regular pastor, presiding from 1928 until 1930.
As time went by many changes
were made. In 1950 the church
was changed to the Pierce Chapel Charge.
There were four churches in the charge: Wallsboro, Central, Pierce
Chapel and Union. Worship
services were held on alternating Sundays.
It wasn’t until the end of 1983 that the charge was divided, with
the consent of the District Superintendent and the presiding Bishop, the
Rev. Henry Frank Chunn became the pastor of Wallsboro.
In 1985 after many
fundraising projects and individual contributions, the “Ruth Law
Fellowship Hall” was built. On
July 14th Dr. James P. Danelly, assisted by Reverend Henry Frank
Chunn consecrated the Fellowship Hall.
In 1993 a complete new front entrance was added to the church, along with
bathrooms, sidewalks, ramps, handrails, shrubbery and a steeple.
In 2007, work was finally begun on another building project. The project
was completed at the end of the year and consisted of several new Sunday
School rooms, an office for the pastor, three bathrooms, and an expansion
for the Fellowship Hall with a remodeled kitchen. We also had to say goodbye
to Bro. Otto. Our present pastor is Rev. Ashley Davis. She and her son,
Will, were welcomed with open arms in September of 2010.
We are in the process of trying to build our membership and pray that we
are in God's will in all our endeavors.