Shelton First United Methodist Church
I recently came across this wonderful article written by the late Ruth E. Wilkenson. It was published in the 1968 church photo directory and I have re-created it here for all to see.....(rcr)
The Church was organized on September 17, 1882. Thirty people signed the Charter, total membership consisted of 6 probationers and 32 members. John E. Wildey was appointed pastor in charge.
The church was an outgrowth of the Scattergood mission - an undenominational organization holding its meetings on the property where the post office now stands. The Baptist members withdrew first and formed the nucleus of the present Baptist church organization. A deed of the mission property was then given by the remaining menbers of the Scattergood mission to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Willis Cooper was the second pastor in 1883 at a salary of $600.00. In 1895 Rev. E. D. Bassett was appointed. The church membership was growing and a need was urgent for a new building. On June 16, 1886, after much discussion and consideration the Bennett lot on Coram Avenue was purchased for $900.00. In 1888 plans were being drawn for the new church - ground was broken in July, 1888. At this time the Christian Endeavor was formed, the Ladies Aid gave much of its energy and financial aid to raising the money for this new church. The church was formally dedicated on June 29,1890 by Bishop Daniel Goodsell. It was built by the Beardsley Company (my grandfather).
Now the need for a home for the pastor became pressing and it was decided to build on the north side of the lot. On July 2, 1892 the contract for the parsonage was let to Hugh(?) Bros. for $3190.00. The Ladies Aid took upon themselves the furnishing of the new parsonage, paying the interest on the mortgage and paying off the principal. It was dedicated on June 25, 1894.
In 1895 under pastorage of Rev. B. F. Kidder the long-handled collection boxes were laid aside for wooden plates.
In 1895 the church returned to using rented pews after experimenting with free pews for a while.
In 1899 Welshack lights replaced the old gas flames and the bulletin board was fastened into place.
In 1908 the Ladies Aid Society (during the pastorage of Mortimer B. Giffin) completed paying the mortgage on the parsonage and held a celebration on October 13, 1909.
In 1911 the individual communion sets were given and the new form of service was adopted.
During John T. Hamilton's eight year pastorate (1912-1920) the church building mortgage was cleared up.
During Arthur Boyntain's pastorate (1920-1925) electricity was installed in both the church and the parsonage, a new Estey organ and chimes were given by a friend, and a hardwood floor was laid in the auditorium.
The first Christmas Candlelight service was held in 1922.
Rev. Robert Dolliver served from 1930-1935 and the 50th anniversary was celebrated in 1932 and The Sentinel heading appears under the date of September 23, 1932 "Three Hundred attended Fiftieth Anniversary"
The Ladies Aid Society and the Missionary Society were formed into the Woman's Society of Christian Service in 1941.
In 1944 major renovation was undertaken, new furnace installed, new organ room built, chancel completely redesigned and rebuilt with a center aisle being made. The renovated building was re-dedicated on October 1, 1944 by Bishop Carleton Lacy. More important than physical improvements was the fact that increasing numbers of people were joining the church and finding their lives more meaningful and vital. At this time there were 315 members of the church and 110 enrolled in the Sunday School.
The 75th anniversary was held the week of September 15, 1957 with Dr. William H. Alderson the Sunday guest speaker. The Jubilee Banquet was held September 17, 1957, with the Rev. Robert Dolliver as guest speaker.
(For 74 years, the church thrived on Coram Avenue, but, by 1964, the number of parishioners had increased to the point that additional parking and more room for the Sunday School was desired. )-rcr
Property on Long Hill Avenue was purchased by the conference in 1963. Groundbreaking for the new education building (now Wilkinson Hall - rcr) was held on November 3, 1963 with the Rev. Wilfred Hansen ( District Sup't) officiating. The cornerstone of the new building was laid May 24, 1964. the first service was held there on August 23, 1964.
The parsonage was built on the northeast corner of the property and dedicated in September, 1966.
In 1978, under the pastorate of Rev. Clifford Field, the Charge
Conference authorized a Building Committee to formulate plans for a Sanctuary.
Betty Connery and Helen Thomas moved that the building be ready for the 100th
Anniversary. Approval for a ceiling of $345,000 was given on September 29,
1979, including a $60,000 mortgage limit. Ground breaking ceremonies were
held on February 3, 1980. The cornerstone was laid on September 28, 1980
with Pastor Field, District Superintendent Richard Smeltzer, and Pastor Emeritus
Charles Geiger. On November 23, 1980 after 16 years of Sunday morning
worship in Fellowship Hall, members of the congregation dedicated the building
and burned the mortgage. Led by the Building Committee, youth and clergy,
the congregation formed a procession leading to the new sanctuary. The
building was officially opened and the baptismal font, lectern, pulpit and
altar, were dedicated to holy use.
Following the consecration of the sanctuary and until the present day, many
gifts have been given to beautify the sanctuary and church building: chimes were
donated by the Rainear family; wall hangings were created by Ruth Ovesny, the
Beachs, Jean Scott Wooster and others; the Fellowship Hall was renamed Wilkinson
Hall; pews and crosses were named in honor and memory of many church families,
whose names can be found in the narthex; seven stained glass windows were
installed thanks to the generous donations of the congregation; and
air-conditioning was added thanks to Esther Swist for the comfort of all.
Numerous gifts of time, talent, and treasures, have enhanced this building and
our ability to do ministry throughout the years.
the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Piccirillo beginning in 1996, the congregation
continued its history of hospitality and fellowship with the popular Tomato
Festivals. The tradition of inviting the community into the church
continues with Lenten Fish Frys and fall Pumpkin Patches.
In 2002, the congregation welcomed its first female pastor, Rev. Diane
McClanahan and was blessed by her leadership. That tradition also
continues with the appointment of Rev. Heather Sinclair in 2006. Pastors
Diane and Heather, as well as several other members of the congregation, have
been nurtured in their journeys to ordination in the United Methodist Church.
The First United Methodist Church has served the community in many ways
throughout the past 125 years. Boy Scouts has met continually since 1924
and Girl Scouts since 1929, as well as Explorer Scouts. Blood Banks,
Vacation Bible Schools, Ecumenical Services, Emmaus Youth weekends, District and
Conference gatherings have all been hosted in this building.
The dedication of many have contributed so much to the life of the church over
the years. we follow in their footsteps with the gifts of love,
fellowship, and dedication to the Way of Christ we all have to share with one
another. As we go forward, we remember the cloud of witnesses that have
blessed this congregation, we thank God for steadfast love and guidance, and we
continually strive to live and serve according to our mission statement:
We, the First United Methodist Church of Shelton, are a welcoming family
Committed to becoming more and more like Jesus Christ;
Together we are growing in faith, knowledge and love of God.
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we serve God by serving others throughout
the community and the world.
Page last edited Friday, October 01, 2010
space for this WEB Site has been provided courtesy of
The content of these