A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE HISTORY OF NEVILS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In the summer of 1938 a group of twelve citizens in the Nevils community met together to discuss the lack of an adequate ministry of the church in this area. They contacted the Methodist Church District Superintendent, Rev. James R. Webb about forming a Methodist Church. As a result of several meetings with the DS, an organizational meeting was held and Nevils Methodist Church became a reality. In preparation for the first full service, two prayer services were held. On April 2, 1939, the Rev. James R. Webb preached and on May 7, 1939, Rev. D.G. Mann preached. The first full service was held on June 4, 1939 on the back platform of the Shearouse Railroad Depot building. This building is still standing on the corner of the four way crossroads in Nevils. The church services were held in this building until a new church was built. Rev. George Clarey preached the first sermon. After the service, the DS Rev. James R. Webb appointed Rev. Robert Woodall (Emory University student) our first pastor. (1)
In 1940, on land donated by brothers, Raymond G. Hodges and B.M. Hodges, a white wooden framed building was erected. The first service in the new building was held on February 4, 1940. (2)
June 4, 1939 First full worship held on platform of Shearouse Railroad Depot building
September 10, 1939 First Trustees elected, First Quarterly Conference was held, First Sunday School Superintendent elected was D. W. Bragan.
1940 First Church building erected on present site, First MYF group organized and was called Wesley Fellowship.
October 4, 1940 First Woman’s Group was organized as the Nevils Ladies’ Aid
April 5, 1953 First Easter Sunrise Service sponsored by Nevils and Brooklet MYF’s
1956 Social Hall construction of brick was added to the original building
1964 Sanctuary extended ten feet out front, brick veneered the outside of building and installed an electrical heating/AC system in sanctuary.
1979 Nevils-New Hope was named circuit of the year for the Statesboro District (3)
2008-2009 Land was purchased from the Hodges family to expand the current facility and construction has begun on a new Fellowship Hall.
(1) History of the South Georgia Conference The United Methodist Church 1866 - 1984
(2) Record of Church Conference 1939 - 1940 of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South
(3) Minutes of Nevils United Methodist Church recorded by Maude White, Secretary