Information About Our Pastor...
Pastor Joan H. Trout
Married 35+ years to Barry L. Trout. Barry is an Addictions Counselor at The Chester County Correctional Center. He has a BA in Addiction Studies from Alvernia College and an MSW at Marywood University. He has been a Christ Servant Minister since 2001.
We have 2 daughters. Hilary, 32, is married and is an LPN at Vantage House, a drug rehab for women with children in Lancaster. Vanessa is 26, and works at Willow Valley Nursing Home as a CNA. We also have 4 grandchildren; Isaiah, who is 6, and Inez who is 4, Isabella who is 3 and Olivia, who is almost 2.
Call to Ministry
I began sensing God's call to a life completely dedicated to God during a 3 month recuperation from broken back sustained in a car accident. In addition to many other circumstances I and my family have experienced, God was with me in amazing ways during this time. I was growing in my faith, active in my church, working full-time in accounting and data entry, and raising a family, but God had more in mind.
I had time to search the Scripture, pray, read many Christian books, listen to great music and deepen my relationship with Christ beyond anything I'd known before. I had an inner peace through the whole 14 weeks, and suffered almost no depression. During this time I dedicated my life to God in a deeper way, pledging to do whatever it was he had planned for me, and asking him to let me know what that was.
As I regained my strength and health, I became involved in the Lay Speaking (a.k.a.Christ Servant Ministry) program at my home church, Lampeter UMC. I had a strong desire to share that God can be REAL in our lives, and that knowing Jesus, trusting Him, and making Him LORD of our lives can make a difference in how we respond to and experience the circumstances we encounter in life.
I was encouraged by people at my church and other churches, as well as pastors, and felt totally energized and fulfilled in preparing sermons, preaching and teaching in all the opportunities I had.
I sensed God leading me to use this gift more, and as others affirmed this, I prayed more for direction. God's leading was to pursue candidacy for ordained ministry, and local pastor schooling in the meantime. I was appointed part-time to Safe Harbor UMC in 1994, as I pursued my undergraduate degree (majoring in Psychology and Speech Communication) at Millersville University, then my M. Div. at Evangelical Theological Seminary. I have sensed the power and presence of God's Holy Spirit throughout my time in ministry.
I've appreciated God's help in balancing church ministry, family and personal needs. I've been humbly amazed by the gifts, abilities and grace he's given me to be a pastor, as well as to excel in school. I have experienced the greatest fulfillment in life, as well as the joy and peace that comes from following God's will and seeing God's hand in all the circumstances throughout my life that have brought me to this place, and I am grateful daily for all these blessings!
In June 2007 I completed my 13 year journey toward ordained ministry as I was ordained an Elder in the United Methodist Church at our Eastern PA. Annual Conference, and was appointed to serve here at UMCR. In addition, I have been serving on the Southeast District Committee on Ordained Ministry since 2008 - as the chair for the last 2 years.
It means a lot to me to help others who hear God's call to ministry to navigate the candidacy process into the many kinds of ministry available in the UMC. I also enjoy encouraging our local pastors, since I served in that capacity for 10 years while I pursued my education.
- I enjoy reading good books and THE BOOK, walking, hiking, bicycling, listening to music (Contemporary Christian, Classical, Oldies, soft rock, a little jazz & blues), discussing Theology and Psychology, and occasionally writing poetry.
- I'm very competitive at Scrabble.
- I love to laugh... long and hard, until my face gets red, my sides hurt and tears run down my face.
- I love cats (we have 2), like dogs and find other pets quite interesting. My parents are both deceased, and I have 3 sisters and 1 brother, all who are committed Christians.
- My favorite TV shows include House, the Law & Order & CSI shows, and the news, local and national.
- Some favorite movies include; The Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments, The Wizard of Oz, A Walk to Remember, Jesus of Nazareth, The Passion of the Christ, The Nativity Story, Dead Poet's Society, Mr. Holland's Opus, Pay it Forward, The Doctor, Shrek, Beaches, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and recently, The King's Speech.
- Recently Read: "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo, "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller.
Two of my "Life Verses"
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) (TM)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight."
Phillipians 4:13 (NIV) (TM)
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."
God never ceases to amaze me in some way every day!
Come Worship With Us On Sundays!
All Are Welcome!