Friendship United Methodist Church, Friendship,
Maryland, is, as its name states, a church where friendship, fellowship, and
family are an integral part of our ministry.
Our mission is to support and participate in the sharing of Christ's love in our community and in the world. The many activities and resources we offer, all described in this Web site, are open to everyone--members and non-members alike. We invite you to come and take part.
We are conveniently located just off Route 2 in southern Anne Arundel County, just north of the Calvert County border.
Having been established more than 200 years ago, Friendship Church is rich in history and tradition, but also boasts a wide variety of modern ministries and programs. Our congregation includes a great mix of seniors, young adults, and families with small children. There are many who have grown up in the church, as well as many who have moved to the area in recent years.
Friendship is a great place. Please stop by and visit us soon!
Pastor: Rev. Byron E. Brought
Assistant Pastor: Rev. Don Stewart
Secretary: Bonnie Dean
Organist: Sandy Griese
Sanctuary Choir Director: Sandy Griese
8:30 Worship Service Accompanist: Bob Snider
Many functions at Friendship United Methodist Church are filled by member
volunteers on a rotating basis, including the positions of greeters, ushers,
junior usher, acolyte, nursery attendant, sound technician, counters, and altar
guild chairperson. In addition, Friendship United Methodist Church has numerous committees of
member volunteers who carry out the work of the church.
In 1785, David Weems gathered funds from those participating in the various Methodist groups of the Calvert Circuit and built the first Methodist chapel on the parcel of land known as Friendship. At that time, the area was called The Cross Roads. In 1807, a traveling preacher, impressed by the hospitality of the area named the community Friendship.
A new church, known as The Brick Church, was dedicated in September 1835, replacing the Weems Preaching House. Another church, Emmanuel M.E. Church South, was organized in April 1862. In 1948, the congregations of these two churches united to form The Friendship Methodist Church. The Brick Church became the sanctuary.
In late 1954, work began on the education building. Later a narthex was added to the front of the sanctuary, and the fellowship hall was erected, connecting the church and the education building. A consecration service for the enlarged facility was held in November 1964.
Friendship United Methodist Church is proud of its heritage, and the facility is rich in history, from the memorial windows to the old Emmanuel bell to the many historic records. The church cemetery and the surrounding community are historically significant as well.
Friendship United Methodist Church is in Friendship, Maryland,
in southern Anne Arundel County, just north of the Calvert County
From Northern Calvert County:
Proceed north on Route 2 through the light at Route 2 and Route 260. Approximately 1.3 miles after the light, turn right on West Friendship Road. (You will see a sign that says "To Route 261.") The church is on the left.
From Southern Anne Arundel County:
Proceed south on Route 2 through the light at Route 2 and Route 258. Approximately 3.5 miles after the light, turn left on West Friendship Road. (You will see a sign that says "To Route 261.") The church is on the left.
View Larger Map
GPS: W 76° 35.520' N 38° 44.233'