A Historical Look
4473 College Street
Forest Park, Georgia
A new ministry began in Forest Park, Georgia Sunday, March 27, 1955. It is a day that is remembered by the chartered members of this ministry, as being a freezing cold day with the temperature falling into the teens. The coldness of the morning, however, did not quench the warmth of the spirit that enveloped the small group of believers gathered together at the Forest Park High School Auditorium. The Spirit of God was working in this small group of believers; planting the seed of hope for a new and vibrant ministry that would make a difference in the growing community. This freezing cold morning marked not only the end of winter and the beginning of spring; it also marked the beginning of a new Methodist Church in the Forest Park community. The newly appointed Secretary reported an attendance of twenty-five, with an offering of three dollars for this 9:45 Sunday school service. Worship followed at 11:00 AM with the Word being proclaimed by a ministerial student from Emory University.
Three months later on June 26, 1955 the first Church Conference was convened, the small group of believers once again gathered together in the Forest Park High School Auditorium, just as they had been doing every Sunday since that cold spring day in March. Forty-eight chartered members gathered together on that summer day to officially begin their ministry to the people of Forest Park. The main item on the agenda for this monumental first meeting of the newly formed Methodist Church was to decide upon a name. Several names where suggested, but the majority of the new congregates wanted the simple name of “Forest Park Methodist Church,” which was adopted by this group of believer on this June day in 1955.
The following year in February 1956 the newly formed group of believers broke ground and began construction for a new church building. Two months later the members walked through the doors on Easter morning to worship in a newly constructed church building. To the outsider it was only a basement, but to the chartered members of Forest Park Methodist Church it was symbol of hope. To the believers that basement Easter service symbolized their faith in a risen savior and their trust in a living God who leads and provides for his people. God had indeed provided the people of Forest Park a vision and the fruit of that vision began to flourish on that Easter morning April 1, 1956, when phase one of the building project was completed.
In the mid fifties Forest Park was part of the fastest growing county in the state of Georgia and the members at Forest Park Methodist Church did not sit idol, they immediately went to work to make a difference in the community. Along with the Forest Park community Forest Park Methodist Church flourished and it became evident to the members that expansion was necessary, so they began working on phase two of the church building, which was completed seven years later in May 1962. The completion of phase two included the remodeling of the basement and the building of a second floor with additional classrooms and office space.
Six years later on June 2, 1968 the members were debt free and once again in need of expansion, so the members stepped out on faith and broke ground for the third phase of the church building project, which was to be a permanent sanctuary. Nineteen sixty-eight was also the year the Methodist church became the United Methodist Church. Earlier in that same year on April 23, 1968 the United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church joined at the constituting General Conference in Dallas, Texas and became the United Methodist Church. Forest Park United Methodist Church, embracing the same optimistic spirit as the church at large, began construction on a new sanctuary. The new sanctuary was completed the following year and the first worship service was held July 7, 1969.
Forest Park United Methodist Church has been described as a hidden jewel of the North Georgia Conference. It is a beautiful sanctuary nestled on six acres off the beaten path of Georgia highway 54 on College Street. The members not only worked hard to maintain the building and grounds they strive to make a difference in the community. The members provide continuous support to numerous ministries in the community (Samaritans Together, the Homeless Shelter, the Community Center, meals on wheels for shut ins) as well as providing annual support to missionaries overseas.
Forest Park United Methodist Church is a family of believers who open their arms to all people regardless of race, color or nationality. All are invited and all are welcome in the name of Christ.
Open Doors, Open Minds and Open Hearts
Office Hours | Services | Missions
Return to Forest Park UMC Home Page