village of Sweet was a well established freight stop to the Thunder
Mountain district and points north from Boise. In 1905, community
leaders decided a church was needed and the Sweet Methodist Episcopal
Church was born. The first pastor was J. M. Hixson, who also served the
outlying communities of Montour, Ola and Horseshoe Bend. For over 100
years, this little country church has served the needs of local
residents. The "addition" on the left side of the building was
the old Boy Scout building moved to the church in 1975.
The painting which
has graced the front of the sanctuary since about 1910 is entitled
"Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane". It was painted for the
church by Maude Selfors who lived in Sweet for a time. The church was
placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Members of the
Sweet UMC participate in a variety of community activities, including
the annual Holiday Craft Fair, Christmas live nativity scene and parade
and their own annual Ice Cream Social - a community favorite!
Join us for bible
study at 8:30 and services at 9:15.